Apparently today is Blue Monday.
The 3rd Monday in January is the day where it all comes to a sad peak of the post-holiday blues, credit card bills, dark nights and perhaps health concerns from all the rich food.
There is definitely something to this, we think.
Everyone is excited about the summer.
Autumn is about getting ready for school, hunkering down for winter.
Winter can be beautiful with snow here in P-N-dubs. But, in the lower mainland, the snow quickly becomes an unpalatable mess of mud, salt, slushy snow and rain. Yuck!
So, we look forward to the Christmas festivities. Takes our mind off of the gross weather and on to the pleasantries of baking, shopping, wrapping, eating & partying. Of course, this year, Ommi forced us to retreat to our safe bubbles. No work parties, no Secret Sanat, no extravagant dinners with a bunch of fab friends…
Reality sets in… hence Blue Monday.
What can I do about it if it’s reality?
We’re not saying you should ignore reality. What we’re saying is that this is a good time to get reacquainted with self-care & joy.
- Connect with loved ones virtually
- Engage in self care
- Get back to healthy eatingTry exercising – especially walks on the brighter weather days
- Take your medications as prescribed (when feeling blue, it’s easy to forge
- Talk to your health professional about the SAD lamp or other ways to copeKeep a regular sleeping schedule
- Enjoy what you have. Be mindful.
- Put your worries in a box for a few hours. Worrying all day will not help solve anything.
- Talk about it or journal
- Think about fun stuff to do. When was the last time you painted? Sledded? Collaged? Read a novel? Took your pups or kids out for a fun walk? Played a video game? Made a snowperson? Made a slideshow of photos? Snuggled your pet or loved one?
This is by no means an exhaustive list. Some of these suggestions might not even float your boat. And that’s okay. But you’ve got some other ideas in that noggin of yours. So get to steppin, you beautiful beast.
This list might be overwhelming. Pick 1 or 2 things that seem interesting and go from there.
What are Nals & Kells doing?
I’m getting back into writing this blog. Kells is still recoveringfrom Christmas cheer. & we are both doing another session of burly classes this month.