The Mr and I went away to Kelowna for our anniversary.
There is something to do for everyone from outdoorsy stuff like hiking and water sports, R&R’ing, winetasting (also beer and ciders), eating locally-grown stonefruits, festivals and simply enjoying the scenery.
So as per usual, the spontaneous Mr doesn’t book ahead, which leads me to do it last minute’. So the well-priced rooms, funky finds, one-of-a-kinds are probably gone! However, I ended up finding accommodations at UBC.
G e n e r a l I m p r e s s i o n
We were in the Queen Studio room** in the Monashee Residence*. It is a straight-up clean room with no bells and whistles. No fancy soaps, luggage racks, room safes or artwork. There was a double bed, a desk, table & chairs and full kitchen. The bathroom had a narrow shower stall, with sink outside. They provide towels, kitchenware and very basic toiletries. It felt dorm-y but also home-y. There are tons of pictures available on their website and from other reviewers.
T h e P r o s
- The building and room require fob entry so it feels secure.
- Each room has its own inclusive wifi.
- The room was large and airy with one small screened-window.
- The setting is gorgeous – very peaceful.
- Laundry is available. Purchase cards at Guest Accommodations.
- The awesome staff is available 24/7 at 1290 International Mews.
T h e N o n – P r o s
There is no in-room TV or telephone so bring your own electronics. There isn’t a lot of counterspace.
Sink & toilet were slow to drain (perhaps just in this particular room). Showerhead is not adjustable (problem for short or tall poppies).
The bed was a bit small. (We are used to Queen.) It was also not supportive so whenever the Mr flopped, I felt it. The pillows were flat.
There weren’t extra pillows or blankets. This was major for me because sometimes I’m a bit colder or want more pillows.
P a r k i n g and Transport
Parking is 50% discounted for guests. Parking options are close by. During summer it’s slow. But during the school year – likely a different story.
If you want to sight-see or pick up larger grocery items/clothing, you will need transport: a vehicle or take transit (stops on-campus).
S u r r o u n d i n g s
Surroundings are beautiful and serene. UBC Okanagan sits on top of a hill so you get a great view of the city. There’s a bit of green space for hikes (be mindful of the bear warnings).
On the other side of highway, there’s permanent housing, a little convenience store, liquor store, pub and Chinese restaurant.
R e c o m m e n d a t i o n
The whole point is to sleep well in a hotel room. And we didn’t sleep well on the first night”. But, if we stay overnight in Kelowna again, I will ask them if there are firm-bed options. I love the idea of staying away from the downtown core in a beautiful setting, so I wouldn’t discount this option in the future. Also, UBC is the Mr.’s and my alma mater.
N&K T i p s
- Double check that linens, kitchenware is included in your room.
- You don’t need to download HONK app for parking, if you have a credit/debit card. Just make surr yiu choose the 24- or multiple-hour accommodation parking option.
- Make sure you get the guest coupon code for parking.
- Take the time to walk around the campus. It really was serenely beautiful.
- in our room, coffee was provided. I brought my stovetop espresso machine with my own coffee. Bring tea PRN.
- I’d recommend picking up basic snack, tea and breakfast groceries before checking in. That way, you can get to exploring as soon as you’ve settled in!
- Research the wineries, cideries and breweries. These are abundant, and in convenient-to-explore clusters.
- Explore the lake options and watersports. Plus other outdoorsy stuff.
- Explore funky fruit stands and orchards.
* This building was assigned to us. There were several other options. Not sure how they make the allotments. Maybe based on room types? Length of stay?
** If we had booked ahead, our options would be greater . I see there are king beds available. Not sure if mattress quality is the same?
‘ He doesn’t like to be tied down because a better deal could be around the corner. Or, maybe something off-the-beaten path. Read about our last-straw Portland adventure here … which we didn’t book ahead but turned out pretty good.
” For the following night, we slept well because we were so zonked.